Monday, April 26, 2010

Sent to Sparkfun

Subject: [FWD: SparkFun Order 2xxxxx]
Date: Mon, April 26, 2010 11:39 pm
To: customerservice@sparkfun.com

Good day.

I received my latest order from Sparkfun. I had some spark, but unfortunately, no fun.

On my previous order, I received Arduino 328 chips. All were marked with a red dot but one. I had my doubts, so I reserved it. When attempting a project with the unmarked chip, it would not load. OK, I still needed some more Arduino chips, so I ordered four more- Order 2xxxxx. I received the four chips I ordered, but none were marked. I removed one from the package and tested it- it would not load.

Here is what I did to test:

1) Took a known good circuit and removed the Arduino
2) Installed the unmarked Arduino
3) Recompiled the code
4) Attempted to download
5) Received the following error:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51
6) Powered down
7) reinstalled the known good chip
8) Powered up, recompiled code
9) Downloaded code
10) Code executed as expected

I think none of these chips has the Arduino bootloader loaded on, even though my packing list has a certification of compliance signed by the Customer Service Manager. What do you think?

I am attempting to write a class using Arduino chips, but that is rather difficult when they are not the correctly configured chip and my deadlines are slipping. I now have 5 chips that are not what I purchased. What can you do to rectify this situation?

Sincerely,